Tips to Ensure That Your Closing Day Goes Smooth
Buying a home can be a long process. The last thing you want is for something to go wrong on your closing day. After all the time spent searching for that perfect home! Getting the best mortgage rate! Here are five things to do before you close to ensure it goes smoothly.
- Schedule a date that works best for you: You have every right to request the closing take place at an ideal time for you, and the other parties in the transaction will usually work with you to make it happen. Whether it’s timing the closing around a pay date or the end of a lease, the first step is finding a date that minimizes stress or conflicts.
- Clarify your payment: Many title companies do not accept personal checks, so give yourself a few days to get a cashier’s check or set up a wire transfer.
- Double check insurance: You’ll need to arrange for a title insurance policy for your mortgage and purchase homeowner’s insurance (plus flood or earthquake insurance, depending on the area). Make sure your policy begins by your closing date.
- Do a final walk-through: You’d be surprised to find that many buyers skip this step! Schedule a final walkthrough to ensure that all requested repairs have been made and everything is in working order.
- Take action based on walk-through: If any issues are identified, you may need to delay closing or negotiate a discount before the closing date to avoid delays.